The restaurant derives its name from Arthur Maw, who owned the house before it became a country hotel. He was a famous businessman manufacturing tiles at his Jackfield factory, and employing over140 men in Ironbridge.
Severn House, as it was previously known was built in 1757, and the Ironbridge was built a few years later in 1779 which marked the start of the industrial revolution. At some point in the early 1800’s Sarah Darby bought Severn House, who was the daughter of Abraham Darby II.
For further information about the history of severn house click here.
The Casson family, who are the current owners purchased the property in July 1988, and developed the property into a 35 bedroom hotel. Extensive work was carried out on the outbuilding which were previously stables and servants quarters to create many new bedrooms, and a new reception area and function room was built. Since then many improvements have been made and a further 9 bedrooms were built in 2008.
Chef Barry Workman has worked for the company for over 15 years, and has been instrumental in achieving and maintaining the 2 AA rosettes for the last 11 years.